SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20549
Pursuant to Section 13 or 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
Date of Report (Date of Earliest Event Reported):
July 12, 2021
Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka
(Exact name of registrant as specified in its charter)
Federally Chartered Corporation
(State or other jurisdiction
500 SW Wanamaker Road, Topeka, Kansas
(Address of principal executive offices)
Registrant’s telephone number, including area code:
Former name or former address, if changed since last report
Check the appropriate box below if the Form 8-K filing is intended to simultaneously satisfy the filing obligation of the registrant under any of the following provisions:
[ ] Written communications pursuant to Rule 425 under the Securities Act (17 CFR 230.425)
[ ] Soliciting material pursuant to Rule 14a-12 under the Exchange Act (17 CFR 240.14a-12)
[ ] Pre-commencement communications pursuant to Rule 14d-2(b) under the Exchange Act (17 CFR 240.14d-2(b))
[ ] Pre-commencement communications pursuant to Rule 13e-4(c) under the Exchange Act (17 CFR 240.13e-4(c))
Securities registered pursuant to Section 12(b) of the Act:
Title of each class
Name of each exchange
on which registered
Indicate by check mark whether the registrant is an emerging growth company as defined in Rule 405 of the Securities Act of 1933 (§230.405 of this chapter) or Rule 12b-2 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (§240.12b-2 of this chapter).
Emerging growth company [ ]
If an emerging growth company, indicate by check mark if the registrant has elected not to use the extended transition period for complying with any new or revised financial accounting standards provided pursuant to Section 13(a) of the Exchange Act. [ ]
Item 2.03 Creation of a Direct Financial Obligation or an Obligation under an Off-Balance Sheet Arrangement of a Registrant.
The Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka (“FHLBank”) obtains most of its funds from the sale of debt securities, known as consolidated obligations, in the capital markets. Consolidated obligations, which consist of bonds and discount notes, are by regulation the joint and several obligations of the eleven Federal Home Loan Banks. The Federal Home Loan Banks are regulated by the Federal Housing Finance Agency (the “Finance Agency”) and the Finance Agency regulations authorize the Finance Agency to require any Federal Home Loan Bank to repay all or a portion of the principal of or interest on consolidated obligations for which another Federal Home Loan Bank is the primary obligor. Consolidated obligations are sold to the public through the Office of Finance using authorized securities dealers. Consolidated obligations are backed only by the financial resources of the 11 Federal Home Loan Banks and are not guaranteed by the United States government.
Schedule A sets forth all consolidated obligation bonds and discount notes committed to be issued by the Federal Home Loan Banks, for which the FHLBank is the primary obligor, on the trade dates indicated, other than discount notes with a maturity of one year or less that are issued in the ordinary course of business. Schedule A also includes any consolidated obligations with a remaining maturity in excess of one year, if any, for which we have assumed the primary repayment obligation from another Federal Home Loan Bank.
We may elect to change our method of reporting information on the issuance or assumption of consolidated obligations at any time. In reviewing the information in this Current Report on Form 8-K, please note:
• although consolidated obligations issuance is material to the FHLBank, we have not made a judgment as to the materiality of any particular consolidated obligation or obligations;
• Schedule A does not address any interest-rate exchange agreements (or other derivative instruments) which we may enter into as a result of our asset and liability management strategies and that may be associated, directly or indirectly, with one or more of the reported consolidated obligations;
• Schedule A will not enable a reader to track changes in the total consolidated obligations outstanding for which we are the primary obligor because Schedule A generally excludes consolidated obligation discount notes with a maturity of one year or less and does not reflect whether the proceeds from the issuance of the reported consolidated obligations will be used to, among other things, satisfy called or maturing consolidated obligations. We will report the total consolidated obligations outstanding for which we are the primary obligor in our periodic reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission; and
• the principal amounts reported on Schedule A represent the principal amount of the reported consolidated obligations at par, which may not correspond to the amounts reported in our financial statements prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles contained in our periodic reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, because the par amount does not account for, among other things, any discounts, premiums or concessions; and
• Schedule A does not describe types and style of consolidated obligations that are not issued on behalf of, or assumed by, the FHLBank as primary obligor, but that may be issued on behalf of other Federal Home Loan Banks as primary obligors.
Item 9.01 Financial Statements and Exhibits.
99.1 Schedule A
Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the undersigned hereunto duly authorized.
Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka
/s/ Brad Gentry
Name: Brad Gentry
Title: VP, Liability Manager